A daily devotional through the recorded words Jesus spoke while He walked alongside us. Our website http://alittlewalkwithgod.com.
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm your host Richard Agee.
- Jesus’ words today remind me of a couple of children’s games I’m sure you played as a kid. I hope you played the game well, because it’s important to what you do now. What games are they? You’ll find out in just a minute.
- John 6:65-70
- Jesus: This is why I have been telling you that no one comes to Me without the Father’s blessing and guidance.
After hearing these teachings, many of His disciples walked away and no longer followed Jesus.
Jesus (to the twelve): Do you want to walk away too?
Simon Peter: Lord, if we were to go, whom would we follow? You speak the words that give everlasting life. We believe and recognize that You are the Holy One sent by God.
Jesus: I chose each one of you, the twelve, Myself. But one of you is a devil.
- Have you ever played Follow the Leader or Simon Says
- Follow the leader is a children's game. First a leader or "head of the line" is chosen, then the children all line up behind the leader. The leader then moves around and all the children have to mimic the leader's actions. Any players who fail to follow or do what the leader does are out of the game. When only one person other than the leader remains, that player becomes the leader, and the game begins again with all players joining the line once again.
- Simon Says (or Simple Simon Says) is a child's game where 1 player takes the role of "Simon" and issues instructions to the other players, which should only be followed if prefaced with the phrase "Simon says", for example, "Simon says, jump in the air". Players are eliminated from the game by either following instructions that are not immediately preceded by the phrase, or by failing to follow an instruction which does include the phrase "Simon says". It is the ability to distinguish between genuine and fake commands that usually matters in the game.
- Jesus calls us to His side just as He chose the twelve while He walked among us.
- Certainly following Him is much more important and complex than playing follow the leader or Simon Says
- Calls us to follow Him
- Peter says it best, who else would we follow?
- Anyone else leads us toward death and destruction
- We can’t follow our own path because if we really look deep inside, we have to admit we don’t know where we’re headed
- Like the children’s games when we don’t follow Him we find ourselves out of the game of life
- Spiritual warfare is not a game
- We don’t have a choice about playing
- We can follow Jesus and have life
- We can choose not to follow Jesus and find death and destruction
- Still our choice, which will you choose
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A Little Walk with God."