Apr 17, 2017
A daily devotional through the recorded words Jesus spoke while
He walked alongside us. Our website
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm
your host Richard Agee.
- Here is a question for you to consider for a few moments: How
is crew like our Christian mission?
- John 17:16-23
- Jesus: Like Me, they are not products of the
corrupt world order. Immerse them in the truth, the truth Your
voice speaks. In the same way You sent Me into this world, I am
sending them. It is entirely for their benefit that I have set
Myself apart so that they may be set apart by truth. I am not
asking solely for their benefit; this prayer is also for all the
believers who will follow them and hear them speak. Father, may
they all be one as You are in Me and I am in You; may they be in
Us, for by this unity the world will believe that You sent Me.
All the glory You have given to Me,
I pass on to them. May that glory unify them and make them one as
We are one, I in them and You in Me, that they may be refined so
that all will know that You sent Me, and You love them in the same
way You love Me.
- I have to admit, there are not many Olympic sports that I like
to watch. I enjoy the finals of several of them when the final
competitors face each other to determine who is the best in some
category. Those are usually exciting.
- Most competitions through the preliminaries are relatively
boring to me
- I’m not much of a sportsman
- But I like to watch crew
- Team sport in which rowers compete
- Consist of 1, 2, 4, 8 person teams plus or minus a
- Men’s and women’s competition at collegiate, olympic, and
- A lot of factors in winning but one of the most important is
unity of the team in their strokes
- Coxswain or one of the rowers sounding as coxswain keeps rhythm
so every oar goes into and out of water simultaneously
- Unity in every stroke breeds success, by their unity in rowing
you can almost pick the winner
- Jesus wants His followers to have that kind of unity when it
comes to fulfilling His purpose
- Doesn’t mean we’re all alike
- Doesn’t even mean we agree on everything
- Means we all work toward a common purpose - His
- To go and make disciples; to share His message; to help others
know He came to forgive sins and bring eternal life to all who
believe in Him
- Even prayed for our unity, that we would be one in Him and in
the Father just as He is, one purpose, one direction, one most
important thing - God
- How do we have such unity?
- Let Him consume you with His love
- Love Him back for what He has done for you
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at
SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If
you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A
Little Walk with God."