May 30, 2017
A daily devotional exploring the
names of God in scripture. Our website
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm
your host Richard Agee.
- Today we look at another name of God, Jehovah-Rohi, the Lord,
- Psalms 23:1
- The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always.
- Jehovah-Rohi, the Lord my shepherd.
- From “Around the Mediterranean with My Bible”: “Shepherding
does not change much in Palestine, where wild beasts may descend
still upon unsuspecting sheep and suddenly destroy them. The
Palestine shepherd lives night and day with his animals. He
establishes a degree of intimacy with them that is touching to
observe. He calls them all by name and they, knowing his voice and
hearing him only, heed. He protects the sheep from thieves and
preying animals who would devour them at night, by sleeping in the
often makeshift sheepfold and they, sensing his watchfulness, ‘fear
no evil.’ He provides pasture and water even in the wilderness and
the presence of enemies and they, casting all their anxiety on him,
are fed. There is a singular communion between shepherd and his
sheep which, after one has visited Palestine and observed it, makes
the symbol of the Good Shepherd peculiarly apt and the Twenty-third
Psalm strangely moving.”
- If you’ve ever had an opportunity to watch a shepherd at work,
you understand just what a meaningful title Jehovah-Rohi is.
- Provides food and water
- Cares for us
- Protects us from the enemy of our souls
- When we deserve nothing, He puts a banquet in front of us
- He never sleeps
- He never tires
- He keeps vigilance like no other because He is Jehovah and He
is Rohi, the Good Shepherd
- Writers of the Old Testament called Him Jehovah-Rohi, Jesus
called Himself the Good Shepherd, Rohi.
- Explains His love and care
- Explains another aspect of God’s great character
- Jehovah-Rohi, the Lord, my Shepherd
- Today, think of the way God asks as your shepherd
- Spend some time today worshiping Him as Jehovah-Rohi, the Lord,
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at
SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If
you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A
Little Walk with God."