Jan 28, 2017
A daily devotional through the recorded words Jesus spoke while
He walked alongside us. Our website
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm
your host Richard Agee.
- I love to watch children play games. They seldom care about the
rules that come in the box. They just make up the rules as they go
along and change them to suit themselves if it looks like new rules
will benefit them. We’re a lot like that as adults sometimes, too.
Perhaps we should consider Jesus words when we apply those rules to
- John 5:22-23
- Jesus: The Father does not exert His power
to judge anyone. Instead, He has given the authority as Judge
to the Son. So all of creation will honor and worship the
Son as they do the Father. If you do not honor the Son, then you
dishonor the Father who sent Him.
- Children have a tendency to make up their own rules when they
play games. Have you ever noticed that?
- Board games with grandkids
- Discard the rules quickly
- Make up rules that will help them win
- Change the rules in the middle of the game to suit them
- We try to do that in life
- Rules are given to us by God in His word
- We discard them quickly or don’t pay attention to them just
like my grandkids with their board games
- Try to make up our own rules or change God’s rules to suit
- Creates a problem
- Imagine baseball or football game where there is no referee or
the referee changes the rules at a whim
- Create chaos on the field
- Rules provide order and direction and guidance in games and
- In sports the referee is the judge for obedience to the
- In life, we set up courts with judges and juries to determine
obedience to our civil laws
- God gives us some civil laws to live by, but His word is
primarily focused on our spiritual well being
- Relationship with each other
- Relationship with Him
- We will be judged based on the spiritual rules He has
established and given to us in His word
- Jesus, His Son, God in the flesh, has been appointed as our
- Since He is our judge, it pays to learn and obey His rules
- You wouldn’t play college football without reading and
understanding the rules, why do we think it’s okay to go through
life without doing the same in matters so much more important,
things with eternal consequences
- It’s time we pick up that spiritual manual God has given us.
Read it again and again. Get familiar with the things He expects us
to do as we journey through this game of life. Then practice those
things daily. He is the referee and will be our judge at the end of
time. Knowing that, don’t you think it’s time to live by His rules
instead of making them up as we go along?
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at
SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If
you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A
Little Walk with God."