A daily devotional through the recorded words Jesus spoke while He walked alongside us. Our website http://alittlewalkwithgod.com.
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm your host Richard Agee.
- How much did it hurt when your friend hurt you by saying or doing something that you didn’t expect. Imagine what it would feel like if they did it and you knew it was going to happen.
- John 13:21-27
- Jesus was becoming visibly distressed.
Jesus: I tell you the truth: one of you will betray Me.
The disciples began to stare at one another, wondering who was the unfaithful disciple. One disciple in particular, who was loved by Jesus, reclined next to Him at the table. Peter motioned to the disciple at Jesus’ side.
Peter (to the beloved disciple): Find out who the betrayer is.
Beloved Disciple (leaning in to Jesus): Lord, who is it?
Jesus: I will dip a piece of bread in My cup and give it to the one who will betray Me.
He dipped one piece in the cup and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. After this occurred, Satan entered into Judas.
Jesus (to Judas): Make haste, and do what you are going to do.
- We’ve all been hurt by a friend at some time or other or we haven’t lived.
- It’s the way of relationships in a broken world
- Misinterpret actions or words
- See things from our broken past instead of God’s perfect lens even if Christian brothers and sisters
- Marred by the consequences of past sins and the brokenness of this world
- Probably never expected the hurt or betrayal, though
- We expect our relationships to be good
- We expect encouragement and support from friends
- We expect our friends never to stab us in the back or give us up to our enemies
- Now put yourself in Jesus’ place
- Betrayed by His friend and abandoned by the rest
- But knew about it ahead of time
- Inspired the prophets to write about it centuries before He came to earth
- Lived with the reality every day
- Had to eat this last meal with His betrayer knowing what would happen next
- Jesus was becoming visibly distressed! No kidding!
- Had a human side
- We all need others to lean on
- They were about to desert Him and one would betray Him
- He knew it all and it was coming in just hours
- His physical, mental, and spiritual agony was about to begin
- We cannot begin to understand the stress Jesus felt
- But we can thank Him for His sacrifice
- We can praise Him for what He did for us
- We can follow Him when He calls
- We can love Him because He loves us more than we can know
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A Little Walk with God."