A daily devotional through the recorded words Jesus spoke while He walked alongside us. Our website http://alittlewalkwithgod.com.
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm your host Richard Agee.
- What stories do you tell those you want to win to Christ? Are they believable? Sometimes Jesus’ stories weren’t very believable. So what should we do?
- John 8:49-58
- Jesus: I’m not taken by demons. You dishonor Me, but I give all glory and honor to the Father. But I am not pursuing My own fame. There is only One who pursues and renders justice. I tell you the truth, anyone who hears My voice and keeps My word will never experience death.
Jews: We are even more confident now that You are demon-possessed. Just go down the list: Abraham died, the prophets all died. Yet You say, “If you keep My word, you will never taste death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died; remember? Prophets—are any of them still alive? No. Who do You think You are?
Jesus: If I were trying to make Myself somebody important, it would be a waste of time. That kind of fame is worth nothing. It is the Father who is behind Me, urging Me on, giving Me praise. You say, “He is our God,” but you are not in relationship with Him. I know Him intimately; even if I said anything other than the truth, I would be a liar, like you. I know Him, and I do as He says. Your father Abraham anticipated the time when I would come, and he celebrated My coming.
Jews: You aren’t even 50 years old, yet You have seen and talked with Abraham?
Jesus: I tell you the truth; I AM before Abraham was born.
- I grew up in the church. I’ve heard these scriptures all my life. I believe them. God’s spirit touches mine and I know they are true because of it. He has proven Himself to me over and over. But imagine hearing these words coming from Jesus for the first time.
- These men didn’t want to believe Him
- Uneducated carpenter’s son
- Doesn’t follow their rules
- Disrupts the religious order of the day
- He’s talking about something they cannot comprehend
- Everyone dies, so His words don’t make sense to them
- Compares Himself with God
- Sometimes we forget most of the world today has not heard the story
- Less that 50% of Americans claim any religious affiliation
- Christianity pushed into the background and even considered hate speech in some circles
- Stories are still confusing and unbelievable as they were in Jesus’ day
- Never die
- Why do I mention this?
- Our mission is to go and make disciples
- Need to know the mindset of those to whom we speak
- They will sometimes be unaware of the language you speak
- They may have no concept of the things you take for granted as a believer
- They may think your stories about Jesus are fantasy and as real as Star Wars
- They need to hear about the change in your life and see the difference He makes every day for you
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A Little Walk with God."