Jun 14, 2017
A daily devotional exploring the names of God in scripture. Our
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm
your host Richard Agee.
- God, the faithful and true witness, the Amen.
- Revelation 3:14
- To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the
faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation.
- God, the Amen, the faithful and true witness.
- The word amen ("So be it; truly") is
a declaration of affirmation found in the Hebrew Bible and
Testament. It is found in Jewish, Christian, and some Muslim
worship as a concluding word or response to prayers. Common English
translations of the word amen include "verily" and
"truly". It can also be used colloquially to express strong
agreement, as in, for instance, amen to that.
- Go anywhere that is even slightly religious and you’ll hear the
- Not limited to Jews or Christians
- Almost every religion around the world uses the term or
something akin to it.
- A declaration of affirmation of something someone has said or
- Agreement to words spoken or actions taken
- God calls Himself the Amen
- We see the word 30 times in the Old Testament; 52 times in the
- Jesus uses the word in a way no one else does
- Jesus uses amen before He speaks affirming what He is about to
say, not what someone else has said
- Only time it’s used this way in all of scripture. Every other
time amen is used initially, it is used to affirm someone else’s
- Some translations render it, truly I say; in truth I say;
verily I say
- He affirms His own statements, a huge faux pas in Jewish
culture unless you are God because then who can test you or fault
- He affirms His statements because He can, He is the Amen
- We hear the word a lot in our churches, to end prayers, after
supplications, even in what some might call the “amen corner” of
- Do we then go out and live what we have just affirmed,
- When we use the word amen and affirm the words spoken and
declare with the speaker, “So be it,” do we follow with our action
or just mouth the words and let that suffice?
- God is the Amen, the faithful and true witness
- What He says, He will do
- His “So be it!” means something. We can count on Him to carry
out His promises
- Today, you might have an occasion to speak that commonly used
word, Amen. God called Himself the Amen. When you use that word,
remember you in essence take a vow before Him that you will take
action affirming the words just spoken. Worship the Amen today, the
faithful and true witness.
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at
SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If
you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A
Little Walk with God."