Jun 16, 2017
A daily devotional exploring the names of God in scripture. Our
- Thanks for joining me today for "A Little Walk with God." I'm
your host Richard Agee.
- Psalms 2:2
Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The
kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the
Lord and against his anointed, saying, “Let us break their chains
and throw off their shackles.” The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them. He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies
them in his wrath, saying, “I have installed my king on Zion, my
- The Anointed One, the Messiah, the Christ
- In Old Testament times, people were subject to anointing when
they were called to the offices of prophet, priest, and king. For
example, when Saul became the first king of Israel, Samuel the
prophet anointed his head with oil in a ceremonial fashion
10:1). This religious rite was performed to show that the king
of Israel was chosen and endowed by God for the kingship. Likewise,
the priests (Ex.
28:41) and prophets (1 Kings 19:16)
were anointed at God’s command. In a sense, anyone in the Old
Testament who was set apart and consecrated for a servant task was
a messiah, for he was one who received an anointing.
- But the people of Israel looked forward to that promised
individual who was to be not merely a messiah but the Messiah, the
One who would be supremely set apart and consecrated by God to be
their Prophet, Priest, and King. So, at the time Jesus was born,
there was a strong sense of anticipation among the Jews, who had
been waiting for their Messiah for centuries.
- In the psalm we read, the psalmist talked about an anointed
king, but also talked about the coming Messiah, the One all Israel
waited for to act as prophet, priest, and king. The God/Man.
- Jesus fit the bill
- Anointed, not with oil by a priest, but set aside and
proclaimed by testimony of the Father and the prophets and the
miracles He performed to the be long awaited Messiah
- He didn’t fit the mold many were looking for
- Political ruler
- Military victor
- Someone of wealth and fame
- He was the One they needed
- God, the Anointed One
- If you want to learn more about my church, you can find us at
SAF.church. If you like the devotional, share it with someone. If
you don't, tell me. I hope you’ll join me again tomorrow for "A
Little Walk with God."